“Stop counting crayons; draw pictures.”

Sept. 13 was a typical Orono morning. The sleepy, hunched over senior class lined up outside the closed auditorium doors. They seemed excited to get out of class; however, all students had a look of pure boredom across their faces at the thought of the same old “song-and-dance” presentation.

The doors finally opened and seniors filtered into the auditorium. A family began handing out pieces of blue and white “brochure like” papers titled Things to do before I turn 50. The writer was young Tim Cashen, a name no one could put a face, but whose family had experienced a terrible loss. However, Tim was someone who had remained present in the Cashen’s life, someone who had lived it.

As the seniors took to their seats, a man stood center stage. He was clothed in all black, heavy browed and intimidating. To the group of seniors, he later referred to himself as “ the big, gambling, casino pit boss.” His name was Mark Sharenbroich.

Sharenbroich’s duty at the high school was to inform the senior students on how to live their lives to the fullest just like Tim Cashen, and that is exactly what he did.
Senior Whitney Magnuson did not truly know what the speech was about. “I was expecting the typical inspirational speech, but it was definitely different than anything I’ve heard or seen so far.”

“It was hard to find any flaws because I was so entertained the whole time,” Magnuson said.

Sharenbroich had immediately captured his audience with his witty banter, and hilarious, yet memorable quotes.

“My favorite quote was ‘Stop comparing yourself to other people because when you do that you’ll never win’ and that really captured my attention,” said senior Brooke Harrington.

At times he got the class laughing, he involved them and he basically kept them interested.

Jeff Altman said that his favorite quote was, “Stop counting crayons; draw pictures,” on which Sharenbroich had based his speech.
Throughout the beginning of the speech, the senior class was twisting the blue and white brochure paper in their hands, wondering when it was going to be put into play. Sharenbroich then pointed out Cashen’s goals and desires. Some of them included living in the Boundary Waters or learning how to fly fish. Mark said that Tim had finished almost every goal before he had died.

Sharenbroich encouraged the seniors to create their own bucket list. “I’ve had a bucket list for a year now,” stated Harrington.

When the doors opened, and the speech ended, the final roar of the senior class bellowed down the hallways with a loud “Seniors!” The class got up from their seats, faces alive and awake now. The speech had left an inspirational spirit inside of them.

As his final message Sharenbroich said, “Leave the campsite better than when you found it.”

Sidney Fairbrother is a Photo/Graphics Editor for The Spartan Speaks